Thursday, August 30, 2012

THE KITTEN AND THE DOG: Who is my True Friend?


The Kitten and the Dog: “Who is my True Friend?”
(Adapted from the Parable of the Good Samaritan- Luke 10:25-37)

Once there was a naughty little cat.  He does not like to go to school.  He only wants to play and play.  He always quarrels and quarrels with his friends.  He disobeys his father and mother.  He destroys all toys given him by his parents.

So the mother-cat got angry with the little cat and the father-cat also got angry with little cat.  The mother-cat scolded little cat.  The father-cat scolded the little cat.  The little-cat cried, “Meow, meow, meow.”

And the little cat said, “Since my mother and my father treated me this way, I am going to run away from home.”  So as father-cat and mother-cat were watching television, little-cat sneaked outside and ran away into the streets and into the city.  He roamed around the city, saying “meow, meow, meow.”

But as he was in the middle of the city, he got lost.  And he wanted to return home but he could not remember his way.  He tried to search for the alley he passed through but he could not find it and it was getting dark. The little-cat got worried and he cried, “meow, meow, meow.”

The little cat got hungry and thirsty and he had no money to buy food.  So he went to a restaurant owned by the rabbit.  And the rabbit asked the little-cat: “Ik, ik, ik, ik.  What kind of food do you want to buy?”  The little-cat answered, “I have no money to buy food.  But I am hungry and thirsty.  Can you give me fish and milk?”

The rabbit said: “Ik, ik, ik, ik, no, no, no.  We do not give food.  We sell food.  No money, no fish; no money, no milk.”

So the little-cat went out feeling sad.

The he met a horse.  He said to the horse, “Meow, meow, meow.  Can you give me one dollar to buy food?  I am so hungry and thirsty.  And I have no money to buy fish and milk.”

The horse answered: “Me, he, he, he.  I do not have money yet.  You see, it is only Friday and Saturday is the day of races.  Sorry, me, he, he, he.”  And he left hurriedly afraid that the little cat would pressure him to give money.

Then the little-cat grew more worried because the night was getting deeper and there was going to be a rain.  He was not only feeling hungry and thirsty but he was feeling cold too.  So he went to a small house to cover himself from the rain.  In the house, he was met by a chicken and a turkey.  The chicken and the turkey did not like cats.  So they drove out little-cat from their house.  The chicken shouted, “pot, pot, potak!  Get out of our house!”  The turkey followed “Kalakalakala, get out of our house.”  And they pushed little-cat out into the rain.

So the little cat walked into the rain feeling hungry, rejected and lonely.  Then at the corner of the street, he cried: “Meow, meow, meow.  I do not have a friend here in the city.  The rabbit did not help me.  The horse did not help me.  The chicken did not help me.  The turkey did not help me.  Who is going to be my friend?”

As he was crying at the corner, a dog came along.  The dog looked frightening.  He was wearing a coat like a gangster.  He was biting a slice of bread and from his mouth you can see big, sharp teeth.  He was considered a “terror” in that street. His name was "Pit Bull.” And as this dog walked heavily into the street, he saw the little-cat crouching in the corner.

The little cat became scared and terrified.  He was even more scared when the dog said: “Groarwl, what are you doing here?”  The little cat, trembling said, ““Meow, meow, meow.  I left our house because I was angry with my father and my mother.  And now I’m lost.  I do not know the way back home, and I am hungry and cold but nobody helped me.”

Then the dog said: “Poor little cat.  Come, I’ll bring you to your home.”  And the dog gave the little cat the slice of bread he was biting and shared him his coat.  Then they walked together into the little-cat’s house where his mother and father were waiting for him.

Now, which of the animals did he met was the true friend to little-cat?

(Note:  I wrote this “parable” for a Sunday School some years ago and found it in an old file..-Fred Vergara )

No comments:

Post a Comment